Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Foster Roster

Back in February we started fostering puppies as part of the Central Oklahoma Humane Society's foster network.  We adopted Birdie from COHS shortly after moving to Oklahoma and have been involved with the organization ever since. Matt is currently on the board of directors and I volunteer regularly.  Fostering was something I always wanted to do, but was hesitant about how Birdie and especially Shep would react.  Turns out the key is puppies, they are small, easily contained, and don't seem as intrusive on the home turf as adults might.


We started out fostering one puppy at a time who was ready for adoption immediately and would always get adopted within a few days.  Then on a Tuesday I surprised Matt when he got home from work...I told him I was picking up a new foster that day and really did only intend to pick up one pup.  I came home with three pit bull siblings instead.  


Not only were there three of these puppies, but they were only six weeks old and therefore needed to be in a foster home for two weeks before they could be spayed/neutered and ready for adoption.  From left to right we have Quade, Queenie, and Quinta.  


Matt is made of gold and of course he warmly welcomed all three for an extended stay with open arms.  Foster babes always get pets before he left for work in the morning.


After having these three for a few days I decided they needed a playpen so they could feel like part of the action and be better socialized instead of always just being in the foster room {the living room side of our basement that I have turned into a dedicated space for fosters- 
more on that space another time}.   


The playpen moves from the living room to the kitchen throughout the day depending on where we are spending time and Mother Bird dutifully keeps them in eyeshot.  When it's meal time or they need to burn off excess energy they go down to the foster room so they can run and romp.  
And of course they're being cuddled or held any chance we get.  


Also, baby stuff is $$$.  I shouldn't be surprised, you always hear babies are expensive but wow.  I've never had reason to troll the baby aisles at Target until I decided I needed this playpen.  I picked out a nice sleek black one that was reasonably attractive but it was over $300. Ultimately I changed my tactic from good-looking to what's-the-cheapest-one-I-can-get and ended up with this blue one.  

Then I marched back up to the front of the store and splurged on a Starbucks.  Something I almost never do, but I was smiling inside that I didn't have to buy formula and diapers and felt a little feisty.  


After this precious trio was adopted two catahoula puppies came to stay with us...


Jack and Sally, they were part of a litter of ten.


Have you ever heard someone say they don't want to rescue a dog because they want a puppy?  
See these exhibits to know that doesn't hold up.  


I love the photo above because you can see Birdie peeking around the 
corner to check-in on the babies.


And this pretty much sums up Shep's feeling on the fosters. 
Matt and I are each holding a puppy, Birdie is close by, and Shep wants nothing to do with any of it but still wants to make her presence very known.  There's no use sulking if no one can see it!  



Current foster babes are these three retriever mixes.


From left to right Rolly, Russell Westbark, and Ree.  
They are staying with us until they can be neutered/spayed and then 
will be available for adoption.  


I was nervous about fostering because it's impossible not to love these creatures within 1 second of meeting them much less after they've been your houseguests for days or weeks on end. 
I cry if I need to when I part with them and then ask who's up next.  
There are always dogs who need help.  

The satisfaction of knowing fostering literally saves the lives of these helpless animals by far outweighs any sadness.  It also helps to know the Central OK Humane Society is a reputable organization and these pups will be going to good homes.  

We've started going out to a little celebratory dinner when our fosters get adopted and a steaming bowl of ramen lessens the sting.



Adopt Don't Shop!!
Breeders create unnecessary lives when the need is already so great. 
Breeders might be helpful if the number of loving homes exceeded the number of homeless pets, 
but right now there are millions of dogs literally dying to be adopted.

Peace, Love, & Puppy Breath



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away! Constructive criticism is always welcome, but please, no profanity or hostility. Wag more, bark less.

01 09 10