Friday, October 17, 2014

Kitchen Shelves: Fall Done

Is there anything more fun in this world than styling shelves?  For basic girls like me who love seasonal decorating, I don't think so.  For the rest of humanity, maybe.

As mentioned in yesterday's Kitchen Tour I'm here to show off the shelves shining in all their fall glory. I didn't want to make you wait too long, not like how Netflix releases an entire season of OITNB or HOC then makes you wait a year until the next season is released.  It's rude.

Anyway, let's take a look back at the pre-fall look...




And Hello Fall:


Let's start at the top left and work our way down. 

An easy and economic way to make anything look "fallized" is just to accessorize with something you probably already have in your kitchen, parchment paper.  The Native American glasses got some parchment and now they're feeling downright festive.  There's even chatter they're all going to dress up as Indians for Halloween.  Those guys.



You'll see I used parchment a lot on these shelves.  Have you ever seen the Portlandia "Put a Bird on it" episode?  They say to make anything instantly trendy (bags, cards, dishes) all you have to do is "Put a bird on it."  I think a similar mantra can be used with fall and parchment paper, "Stick parchment in it."

Down on the next shelf are stemless martini glasses filled with candy corn and tea lights. Simple and cheap.

 


With the exception of Christmas, I tend to like to decorate with seasonal items that are either living and/or disposable.  I don't have the storage space or desire to have my house cluttered with a bunch of seasonal knick-knacks.  I also think decor tends to feel more sophisticated when you approach it from this mindset. So for these shelves, I supplemented everyday items I already had with real pumpkins and gourds, parchment paper, candy corn, and candles.  


Moving on I added a stack of saucers to this shelf topped with a gourd in a mini-latte bowl.  




























I love these little bowls, this one came from Anthropologie a few months back (but I think they always carry them).



The bottom shelf got a subtle fall touch, I just switched out the Native American print that's usually in  that frame for one of Old Main (University of Arkansas) in the fall.  Also, I added a ceramic egg crate, not really fall-ish, I just like it. While we're on the subject, have you ever been to Fayetteville, AR in the fall?  It's incredible.  The leaves there rival Boston. 


And finally on the bottom I have a gold lantern (Homegoods) with a flameless candle and pumpkins.  That lantern usually lives in the living room, but it's been relocated until further notice.  


That completes the left side, let's shimmy on over to the right.


Starting at the top, I added a flameless candle to the vase that's usually up there and put candy corn around it.  I also added the silver charger and mini pumpkins. 




Moving down, more parchment!  All these guys were here already, I just added the fall touches.  I was out of candy corn by the time I got to the pitcher so I put a piece of orange tissue paper in the bottom instead.



The next shelf didn't get much fall love, I just added a little succulent to play off the moss wreath. Actually, there are pumpkin cupcakes in the cupcake stand so I'm going to go ahead and say those count too. Things are lookin' up for this shelf. 


The last shelf has one of my favorite touches, a little copper tray (Target) that I already had piled with gourds and a pumpkin candle.  The glass vase that lives on the floor got some parchment too, didn't want him to be left out of the parchment paper party. There's a Friday dose of alliteration for ya. 


I hung a moss wreath on the window.  I think bringing wreaths inside makes for such a dramatic yet charming look.  It's one of my favorite seasonal things to do.  


Well there you have it.


Now if this doesn't start your weekend off right I'm worried we're not speaking the same language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away! Constructive criticism is always welcome, but please, no profanity or hostility. Wag more, bark less.

01 09 10