Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Straight Outta Coffin

The holiday has come where it is entirely appropriate to place dismembered body parts, skeletons, ghosts, spiders, and cemeteries on your front lawn and I couldn't be happier.  

I love how in October the neighborhood turns spooky and dark.  
While my Halloween decor isn't all that gory, I applaud the neighbors who turn up the thrill factor and also anonymously slip the number of a good psychiatrist through their mail slots.  



I concentrated most of my Halloween decorating on the mantel thinking aside from the Jack-O-Lantern lights and webbing, everything can be left up through Thanksgiving.  The cinnamon broom is from Trader Joe's and smells like cooler weather.




The drooping eucalyptus is a timely accident, I've had it since August and now it is perfectly dried for a Halloween mantel.  





I also covered the federal mirror in the entryway with a web. A $1 bag goes a long way and instantly makes anything look creepy


Over the summer I ordered this cement dog from Ballard and have been so excited to dress him up for holidays.  We affectionally call him Wellington and currently he is all set for Trick-or-Treating thanks to a pumpkin bucket attached to his collar.  


Mini pumpkins on his head and on the rockers are cute little details. 


The front door planter is piled with pumpkins.  I have a problem with squirrels eating regular carving pumpkins but have noticed they don't seem to be attracted to the warty ones.  
Maybe they are harder to chew through?  


A peek at Wellington through the Japanese maple that is starting to change.







The other indoor spot that got festive is the window ledge above the sink.  Just like with the mantel, I can leave everything except the clings though Thanksgiving.  


The ledge theme is mini: I put gourds in a mini Le Creuset and mini pumpkins on a mini Delft plate.  


At the side entrance I put a warty pumpkin in a planter and layered in a crow doormat.  
The dinner bell always hangs there but I especially like how it takes on a sinister feeling paired with the crow.  


Now for a dog photo:
I had to include this picture of Birdie because she coordinates so perfectly with fall decor.  
Her coat is the color of pumpkin spice and her body is shaped like a velvet gourd on four legs.


Notice Russell peering out the window, Happy Haunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away! Constructive criticism is always welcome, but please, no profanity or hostility. Wag more, bark less.

01 09 10